Here’s a run-down of the primary mods I am using. This list will likely change over time.
Critical Mods for the Permadeath Chronicles
- Alternate Start: Allows me to start play from one of twenty different places, including the traditional cart ride to Helgen.
- Frostfall: Hardcore. This mod simulates the effects of the frigid cold, including hypothermia. Players have to make fires, dress warmly, and avoid exposure. Couple with the Permadeath play-style, this makes the going even tougher.
- Kill Every NPC: If my PC only gets one life, the NPCs should too, right? It always bothered me that you couldn’t kill the Jarls, for instance. No more. I am keeping track of any named NPCs that die during the course of the Chronicles and removing them at the start of a new play-through via console commands.
- Realistic Needs and Diseases: Simulates the effects of hunger, thirst, drunkenness, and exhaustion.
Other Mods for Enhanced Gameplay
- Arrow Fletching: Allows the crafting of arrows
- Civil War Overhaul: Improves the civil war story-line and adds new content
- Convenient Horses: Allows for activities while mounted, horse inventory, horse whistle, horses for followers, etc, etc!
- Cutting Room Floor: Restores a bunch of content removed from the shipped version of Skyrim
- Deadly Archery: Compiles several like mods into one to make ranged combat deadlier: Lethal Archery; Increased Arrow Damage; Faster Arrows.
- Deadly Dragons: As the title implies.
- Dynamic Loot: modified loot dropped by NPCs.
- Dynamic Things: Allows you to recover wood from bushes and trees (helpful for Frostfall). Additionally, you can level up combat by using the practice dummies.
- Immersive Armors: More sets of armor.
- Immersive HUD: Hides the HUD when not needed. Awesome for immersion.
- Immersive Patrols: Adds random patrols for every faction in the game: Stormcloak, Imperial, Bandits, Merchants, etc.
- Immersive Weapons: Greater selection of weapons.
- Inconsequential NPCs: Adds a number of NPCs to fill in the game: Carriage Guards, Skooma Dealers, Prostitutes, Sell-swords, Servants, Workers, etc.
- Sneak Tools: Adds stealth gameplay – slit throats, knock unconscious, keep identity hidden with a mask.